I hosted my first salon last evening and was thrilled with the good conversation, company, & ideas that came out of the event. Last night’s topic was “Inspiring Learning Environments,” though it certainly meandered into many other topics.
Some big take-aways from the discussion for me were:
- Once something gets too large, it loses the ability to be innovative. Case in point are the many conferences that have gotten so large and so corporate that the important conversations get lost.
- Scale can’t be forced. Scale happens spontaneously because it is the right idea at the right time.
- In spite of my original plans for these salons, a home environment seemed to be just right. It actually kept the concept of “salon” more true to form than, say, had I hosted it in a museum or park.
- What would happen if we took the concept of Apartment Therapy and applied it to learning environments in our schools? (Especially those schools in areas of high poverty?)
I so much want to thank the folks who came out and made the event what it was! I most definitely plan to host more salons in the future. (And hope that others will also consider hosting.)
Finally, I had a few requests for my Pimento Cheese recipe:
- 1 block of Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3 T shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 5-6 T mayonnaise
- 5-10 green olives
- 2 roasted red bell peppers
- dash of cayenne pepper
Blend together in a blender.